If you wish to follow this blog by email, please enter your address here:

Monday, January 4, 2016

New Years and New Hairs......UGH!

This week has been AWESOME!! So much fun! And I have learned sooo much!! I have some fun stories. New Year’s was a blast! For NYEve, we were invited by two single members who are from the ages 24-26- to have lunch. And it was mostly for one of the members who is a convert of 6 years and just got a new job at this restaurant and so she took us and Kevin out to it. The restaurant was American style-like Fuddruckers- it was super weird being there. I felt like I was back in the states!! Going into the rendezvous, we had a prompting that we would need to take some time to really help Siabhon- at this point; we knew that she was stressed with her job and was trying to find balance, but didn’t really know the problem. So we get there, eat, laugh, and share our message, and talk to her about finding time to read her scriptures and pray to help her balance her work life and spirituality, and then she brings up how she was having a hard time because at work she has to wear an outfit that doesn’t match her standards, or allow her to keep her temple covenants.  She wasn’t allowed to not wear the dress because it’s a chain restaurant and it’s mandatory for all people who work there. And they have no problem hiring someone else, if she doesn’t comply. But she has been looking for a job for a really long time and is afraid to lose it. We were able to be directed by the spirit to help her know how much God loves her- she had felt really alone- and how obedience simply allows us to feel more of His love. It’s not to limit us. We encouraged her to pray to Heavenly Father and ask Him if what she was doing was right, and if not, then what could she do. I, personally, am sure that there are solutions to the problem, but the most important thing to solve is that she needs to make sure that she is being true to Heavenly Father. It went well.

French "American style " Diner

Jacob and Elder Tibbits

Fewou Family New Years Celebration



For New Year’s Eve, no one had invited us, until the day of! It was the Fewou family, and we are good friends with 3 of the boys. Two are return missionaries and one is leaving in 6 months. We work with them all the time! It was SO MUCH FUN! We ate a lot, and were allowed to watch a movie, so we watched a bit of Frozen. It was weird just having hang out time! It’s been a while haha.
New Year’s Day we went to an older family’s home and it was such a blast!! I really enjoyed it. I feel really quite confident in my French and it’s so much fun knowing that I can connect on a spiritual level, but also on a friendship level in another language.

So interesting story- sad story. Our day today, was going great! And then we decided to get haircuts... I was really happy with how my hair was looking long, but it needed a trim. So we find this salon and it’s only 10 euros for a cut.. Most are about 20.. Well we should have paid more attention and thought about why.. I tell the man that I want just a little cut and leave it longer on top, and then he says, “Well how about a nine on the sides?” And then just practically shaves a part of my hair off on the side! “How’s that?” he asked me... And I’m thinking, “what if it’s not okay? What are you going to do now? I have a patch in the side of my head??”. I told him that it was too short and so he put on a better guard. He then just took of all the hair on the side of my head.. I told him that I wanted it to have a fade so it wasn’t like the gangsters who have it way long on top and buzzed on the sides. No thanks for me! And I didn’t want a mushroom head. But he cut it was short all around the sides, the opposite of what I asked him, and then proceeded to cut off my lovely locks on top :((( I happened to look over at elder Tibbitts during his haircut and they had slicked back his hair and had done the same to him, but no fade... And longer on top.  So he has one of those modern cuts.. When I saw it I started to laugh during the haircut because it was so funny.. So long story short.. We are wearing beanies for the next month-no matter what ;). But all is well.. It will grow back…someday……

I am staying in Arras for another 6 weeks with Elder Tibbitts. I’m pretty happy about it. I didn’t want to leave haha. SO SUPER WEIRD- Elder Pumford is my new zone leader... What the heck?? That means that I will go on an exchange with him this transfer. Weird things are happening.

Really cool experience to share with you!! You remember how I was on an exchange a couple of weeks ago and another Elder and I visited a family who was struggling and talked with them about the atonement and the love of God for them? We gave them the challenge that Dad gave to me. Well the man stood in sacrament meeting and talked about how he and his wife were struggling, and we came by. (He explained the whole experience). He then testified that from this experience of us coming by in a critical moment, that his testimony had grown and that God looks after us and that he knew that this church was true. (Along those lines). It was amazing. God leads this work. This area is about to explode with missionary success! All of our friends (investigators) will be back from vacation this week so we can see them! We are also going to be working very closely with the members so that they can see the work expand as well. Yesterday I felt prompted to try to invite ourselves over to see a family who we had talked with just a bit. They said that we could come yesterday night. The father has made a plan to Reactivate and baptize an excommunicated member and wants to work with us. We said that he is available everyday after 5 and wants us to call him. The wife is working with 6 of her friends that could potentially be coming to church in the next month or so. (The sisters will have their hands full). And. Many other members are working. We are working with about 15 member families to get them to share the gospel. Could you imagine if every family shared the gospel with one person?? How much that would do?? The ward is key to the missionary success. We can’t do it without them. This transfer we are going to try to do EVERYTHING with members!

Mom, I LOVE you!!!
Love, Jacob!!


Beanie covering bad hair cut! Arras, France

No comments:

Post a Comment