If you wish to follow this blog by email, please enter your address here:

Monday, January 25, 2016

Quite a week!

Dearest Mother,

Unfortunately, this week, we don’t have any progressing investigators, BUT I believe that here will be many soon!! The members have been sharing the gospel a lot and we just need to take the next step with all of them! It’s going to be sweet :)

What are you learning right now in your French class? Photography sounds SWEET! I don’t know how feasible it will be, but I hope that I can take some fun classes at BYU to expand my interests, along with the normal courses.

That’s crazy that Sam is doing rugby! I still don’t even know all the rules to the game.. Are there a lot of kids who play? Kale told me that he can almost dunk... What the? That’s insane...

It’s interesting that you ask how things are going with Elder T. because it’s been quite the week. So, I have mentioned before that he was not at all prepared to come out on a mission. He barely read the BOM when was 17 or so, and doesn’t really know the gospel at all. And he didn’t really know how to motivate himself at all. He just sort of floated along with life. And it was really difficult because it was all on me... No matter what I would do, he would do. It was becoming really exhausting. I had addressed the subject several times in a very kind way, but this last week, we actually had interviews with President. He told me that more or less, he was concerned about Elder T. because he doesn’t seem to be concerned at all with where he is with his level of French (and it’s not going well with his French- even though I speak French to him more than 90 percent of the time. He told me that I need to help him to see where he really was and the situation that he was in. Elder T. would just rely on me a lot, and not take responsibility to improve or create situations. So, I had a long talk with him this week about how he was not where he needed to be. We talked about how he needed to catch up, in several aspects, including French, gospel understanding, teaching ability, but also just reaching out as a companion. It was hard because I would reach out to help him, to be his friend, and to love and serve him, but he rarely did anything for me. So I told him how it was- I wasn’t rude at all- but stressed how he was not doing well at all. And it’s getting better!! I’m not going to lie, this last transfer and a half has been exhausting because at times its felt like I haven’t had a comp... But I’m working with him on it. His paradigm was really shifted and it seems to be kick starting him. He’s learning how to have a drive and really go for something. He’s learning how to “attack” a day.
Me, personally am working on attacking as well, but with my whole heart and letting out my fun side into it. Sometimes, I become too serious and I need to let my humor help balance out the situation. It’s been fun to see it come!

I have no idea if I will be in Arras or not. We still have about 3 weeks left of this transfer, so we will see. Interviews with President were GREAT!! He really helped answer a lot of my questions about the mission and with needs in my district. I really admire him and am grateful to have served under him.

I taught a district meeting this week and it went GREAT!! The mission right now is trying to change the culture of the mission to help missionaries become more faith filled, obedient, and hardworking. And I was really able to connect with the district and help them feel empowered to make changes in their personal missionary efforts, but also in their lives. I used the analogy of David and Goliath, and how he had to RUN and ATTACK his giant. We too need to attack our goals and not let them come to us. If we are going to change, we have to put forth the activation energy first to ignite the process. I just hope that I help missionaries see that everything is literally possible!

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, and you have the power, as a child of God to make that day however you want to make it! Too often, we let the excuses of, “It’s always been this way”, or “I’m tired, I’ll do it when I feel good”, or others to stop us from really achieving our potential. And I want to change that within myself and help other missionaries believe in the miracles! It’s already, and is going to be a fantastic transfer!! I’m so excited!!

I will look for some souvenirs :) I bought some pants today because the other ones for my gray suit were fried. I hope that they will go okay with the jacket. I also bought two new scarves that I really really like..

Speaking of girls, this one girl gave us her number this week... So we were going to our Mission Ward Leader’s house to do service (gardening and stuff), and we realized that our train was in 30 minutes, so we take off to our home to grab a change of clothes and haul to the bus stop... No bus was coming... Oh no... So we literally just take off towards the train station. It’s probably about a mile or so away... Uphill. And here comes two suited men in an almost sprint just going through Centreville. WE CATCH THE TRAIN!!! We ran that close to a mile in about 5 to 6 minutes. It was nuts. So, then I go to the bathroom on the train to change into my service clothes, and come back out. Elder T. does the same. We decided it was best to use our time to plan, so we get to it, and this girl across the aisle-probably 17 or so, just keeps looking at us.. We were speaking French, but at times I would explain in English things that my companion didn’t understand.
And she finally interrupts and asks us if we were lost or searching for directions. I tell her that we weren’t and she told us that she noticed that one of us didn’t really understand the other and asked if we were English. From there we told her that we were American and missionaries. Unlike most, she didn’t seem weirded out that we were missionaries (haha), so we talk a little bit. Right before her stop, she turns to us again and tells us, “Well if you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to text Me.” and puts her number down on our table... It was pretty funny. So we will probably text her and set her up with the sisters!!

Mom, I love you so much!! I’m glad that I still am set up for at the table. Either it’s me or Elijah ha-ha! Know that I am doing great and that I know with my whole heart that this church is true. Christ lives. HE IS THE MESAGE, and I’m so honored to be able to do a small in this work with Him. You’re amazing!!

Love,
Elder Jacob Lucas


No comments:

Post a Comment