If you wish to follow this blog by email, please enter your address here:

Monday, April 25, 2016

First baptism this Saturday! Hooray!


Hello everyone!! This week has been an adventure :) life in the
mission field is sooo much fun! If you’re contemplating going on a
mission, let me just say, it’s a WONDERFUL experience.
So, I know that you’re all waiting for the top five, so I won’t hesitate. Here you all go :)

1.      I had a really fantastic personal study in the Book of Mormon that

I want to share!! It was 1 Nephi 2:9-10. 9 And when my father saw that
the waters of the river emptied into the fountain of the Red Sea, he
spake unto Laman, saying: O that thou mightest be like unto this
river, continually running into the fountain of all righteousness! 10
And he also spake unto Lemuel: O that thou mightest be like unto this
valley, firm and steadfast, and immovable in keeping the commandments
of the Lord!” What stood out to me was that it talked about the
fountain of all righteousness. Do we run INTO the fountain of
righteous-or the living waters? Or just to it? We need to dive into
the learning and living the gospel of Jesus Christ :) do we walk
casually to it? Or do we run to it? What’s also intersecting is that
rivers form valleys. The river forms the valley. We must first come to
the water first, so that we can become a valley that is firm and
immovable. It is the river that creates the valley! Without the a
savior, obedience isn’t as import net because we would ultimately
never make it back. Even in the sacrament prayers, we remember Him
firs the, and THEN we keep his commandments. I know that He lives!! He
lives and loves each or us! Never doubt Him, He will guide you!!

2.      News!! Here is the progress on our friend, Brother Demette! So this

whole time, we didn’t really think that there would be any problems
with the Word of Wisdom... We didn’t think that he smoked. Well, we
taught it and we come to discover on Tuesday, that he does smoke and
drinks tea and coffee... And when he found out that he couldn’t use
those substances any more, he told us that he would give them up a
week before his baptism. However, I asked him, “Why not today?” In
addition, in the brochure that we were using to teach with said, that
if one is using the restricted substances, then one should stop
immediately. And Brother Demette courageously said that if it was
written there that he should stop immediately, then he would. And he
stop just like that. His desire to follow God no matter what gave him
the power to stop just like that. He hasn’t used them since. In
addition, he passed his baptismal interview!! It was pretty funny
because I was outside the room, and the zone leader and Brother
Demette inside. And the walls weren’t very thick and so, even though I
really tried hard not to, I could hear bits and pieces, and I heard
the zone leader say, “In a couple of weeks...” And my first thought
was, “No it’s postponed!!” Haha. Luckily I must have heard/interpreted
it wrong because he passed :) he’s getting baptized this Saturday and
asked me to baptize him!! I am sooo grateful for this opportunity! I
have never been the one baptizing so this will be a whole new
experience :)

3.      Another really inspiring note on Brother Demette’s faith was

displayed this week in his willingness to follow the law of tithing.
He can’t work and receives income from the government. And his wife
really struggled with the idea of tithing. He boldly told her that the
Lord would provide and that we didn’t need to fear! It was so
touching. Elder Cahoon said in an email that tithing isn’t a question
of money, but of faith, and that’s totally true!!

4.      So I don’t know what it is about me seeing drunk people on my

mission, but we were walking by the train station which is also known
as the hangout ground for the homeless and drunk people, and it’s
about midday, and I look over and there is a drunk man who has made a
bed in the flower bushes-if I remember right- and he has in one hand a
bottle of alcohol and the with the other hand is swatting at this
flower that keeps repeatedly swinging back into his face... It seemed
that he was starting to get pretty angry with the flower that kept
swinging back to his face. Moral: don’t drink or you’ll end up in
flower beds angry at plants.

5.      Another interesting experience was that we bought coffee this

week... Not our fault. We had a rendezvous with a man that invited us
to go to a café. Ok that’s okay. My companion orders an orange juice
and I order a water. He orders his coffee and we talk. At the end of
the conversation he then pushes the check towards us and tells that he
doesn’t have the money to pay for the drinks... Ok... But we did it...
It was pretty funny haha!



Envoyé de mon iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment